Wednesday, October 7, 2026

22 Jan 44 On this day Bombardier J. Stevenson wrote home.

 98 Field Regiment Royal Artillery War Diary 

22 Jan 44 – 1050 

 Enemy counterattack down road – occupied Cemetery – some armour with them – situation fluid. 

22 Jan 44 – 1053
471 Battery – enemy still counterattacking strongly – some infiltration – situation still fluid

Mark Howard, historian researching the 98 Field Regiment Royal Artillery” NEW INFORMATION:

Private Papers

Bdr. J. Stevenson 959500

471/98th Field Regt. RA

22nd Jan.

Dear Mum & Dad

I received several of your Airmail letters recently, the latest dated the 9th.   Glad you both enjoyed Xmas – you seem to have found many friends on the “Ridge” that I’ve not heard of before – shall enjoy meeting them all on my return whenever that may be.

               I expect you gathered from my last letter that we were going into action again.   We’ve been fighting now for nearly a week & are being kept busy both night & day.   Each days firing exceeds all previous records so you can see we’ve not much spare time and don’t worry if my mail is not as frequent as possible.   I shall send telegrams if unable to write.

               Of this side of the world – nearly 20 years ago I remember one of the photo albums containing many pictures of one certain place.   The weather here is still the same, bright & clear during the day, but extremely cold at night, in fact “bloody cold” as there is no shelter so when we get a chance to sleep it’s in the open & there’s always a hard frost.   It’s a case of putting on all the clothes ones got to go to bed, not taking them off.   However the glorious sunshine at mid-day makes up for all the discomforts & also the thought of spring soon arriving.

               The news has been good the last two days.   Just heard of the landing near Rome which is very encouraging to us.   Jerry is putting up a strong show where we are but the fighting will soon go in our favour despite mines and natural obstacles.

Geoffrey’s friends have been helping us again.   I often wonder if I will ever come across him.

               Had a letter card from Dear ma today saying she had a very good time with Mrs H at Christmas.   Also received an airgraph from Mrs H herself.   Next time we come out of action I hope we have longer rest & not so much travelling about then I might catch up with my correspondence.   I owe Hames a letter of thanks.   Hope she’s OK & back with you again.

               Will watch out for your second parcel which should be here soon 6 weeks I believe.   I have not given up hope yet of getting the tobacco.   At the moment I’m still smoking the stuff issued and bought at Xmas so am not really short.

               Will have to use airgraphs if I get a chance to write before next weekly issue of letter cards.   They take longer so don’t worry.   Cheers for now.   Love Jimmy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Further Information received since book published

22 Jan 44 On this day Bombardier J. Stevenson wrote home.

  98 Field Regiment Royal Artillery War Diary   22 Jan 44 – 1050   Enemy counterattack down road – occupied Cemetery – some armour with them...